Welcome to the Windows On Windows® forum! The forum is free for anyone to use, so come join in the fun!

...Forum not enough for you? Chat live with other Windows® fans on our Discord server!

[OFFLINE] So, I'm trying something with myBB...

This is the place for members to share projects such as UI concpets, visual styles, websites, forums, artwork, etc.
Spriteclad
Windows® 2.1
Windows® 2.1
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn!
Favourite Windows® operating system: 10

[OFFLINE] So, I'm trying something with myBB...

Postby Spriteclad » November 23rd, 2016, 2:13 am

UPDATE 5/27/17: Forums have been closed for the time being. Thanks for testing!

THAT'S RIGHT! I've brought up another instance of a forum software I'd like us to switch to; but instead of Discourse this time, it's MyBB! It's a better version of phpBB with more features and a more fleshed-out user experience.

Pros compared to the current forums:
  • Quick posts post without refreshing the page
  • The theme looks nicer (in my opinion, at least)
  • The theme is more customizable
  • The User CP is waaay better organized (same goes for the mod and admin CPs)
  • It uses the new category listing that's better organized
  • The smilies are... marginally better
  • I can easily purge spammers' posts and ban them with a single click
  • The editor is much nicer and supports things like autosaving and spoiler tags

Cons:
  • The forum theme is no longer responsive (this is the only major issue I have with myBB)
  • I currently can't get recent posts to show up on the front page, I think it might be an issue with the plugin I'm using?
  • I don't see a feature that allows me to have new users' first posts be approved by an admin before being shown on the site. If anyone knows a plugin that can do this, let me know.

Click here to try out the myBB forums! (removed link because offline)

(Note: these aren't official. This is just a Discourse forum hosted by Spriteclad to gauge the reactions of the WOW community.)

click here for the old post

alexandru_c
Windows® 98
Windows® 98
Favourite Windows® development process: Windows Server
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows Server

Re: So, I'm trying something with Discourse...

Postby alexandru_c » November 25th, 2016, 3:43 pm

Well, it doesn't look too bad, but I have some complaints from the first 5 minutes of going back and forward from page to page in it:

First of all, the mobile things - for me, it looks "messy" (I mean, not so organized, messy, everything thrown in one place, idk) also, I found one issue, the Login button doesn't work even if I refresh the page or go to another page.

Image vs Image

Also, because it's very colorful it makes my eyes ignore the content and search around the page where I can find what I need (it may also come from the fact that I'm not used to use q&a-like forum software with all kind of colors).

Image vs Image

Also, in the end of this reply, I would want to mention that Outlook thinks that you are "phishing" so your email ended in the spam folder

//Edit: One more thing:
The Gravatar option as the default avatar scared me a bit too, I was thinking that I will need to use a photo of me on that experimental forum (Gravatar is used by the platform where we had to create an account for the computing class).. Thankfully, it had an option to change that.
What can you do with just some basic PHP knowledge: http://splatform.sourceforge.net

Awesome LIVE event right NOW: [url ]http://radiozu.ro/forzazulive/ [ /url] - event over

Spriteclad
Windows® 2.1
Windows® 2.1

Postby Spriteclad » November 27th, 2016, 4:25 am

Thanks for the criticism! I might make the colors a bit more monotone, but I honestly have no problem with how they are now. I might be able to not have Gravatar be the default avatar for new users, I'm going to see if I can change that.

I think the reason the Log In button doesn't work on mobile was because of the "YouTube" link I added in the header (which doesn't even scale right on small screens anyway, so.) which I am going to remove ASAP. Thanks for letting me know and let me know if it fixes it.

EDIT: Yeah, I was able to turn off Gravatars for new accounts. Now new accounts made on the Discourse forum should just have a generic "letter" avatar image at first.

TheComputerBetaG
Windows® 98 Second Edition
Windows® 98 Second Edition
Favourite Windows® development process: Vista
Favourite Windows® operating system: 7, 98, Vista

Postby TheComputerBetaG » November 27th, 2016, 10:00 pm

With my experience and expertise in HTML5/CSS, this looks like a nice layout for desktops. However, the mobile version needs to be either scaled or make another display media for mobile devices.

The colors, yes they may seem a bit out of wack when it comes down to the small labels, but it looks fine overall.

Looks like something that could feature "insiders" to test and make better. Design and Source Code team looks like would be a great help, if my opinion gets across.

Overall, this is a great idea for q&a's!

Spriteclad
Windows® 2.1
Windows® 2.1

Re: [offline] So, I'm trying something with Discourse...

Postby Spriteclad » December 2nd, 2016, 12:00 am

The test forums are now offline due to lack of activity (and money on my part). I might put them back up sometime in the future, but if you want it back up sooner just let me know. Thanks, guys!

Spriteclad
Windows® 2.1
Windows® 2.1

Re: [ONLINE] So, I'm trying something with myBB...

Postby Spriteclad » April 25th, 2017, 12:21 am

BUMP! I have myBB forums open for y'all to test! See the OP!

skyrocket
Windows® 1.0
Windows® 1.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn / Vista

Re: [ONLINE] So, I'm trying something with myBB...

Postby skyrocket » May 9th, 2017, 12:12 am

Personally, I'm all for MyBB. It's way more modern and doesn't feel so "old" like PHPBB does. I love the theme too!
skyrocket
PC: i5 4570 - Gigabyte H87M-D3H - GTX 760 - 8GB RAM - OS X El Capitan & Windows 10
Mobile: Surface 3 (128 / 4) - Nexus 6P - Samsung Gear S2

Return to “Member Projects”