Welcome to the Windows On Windows® forum! The forum is free for anyone to use, so come join in the fun!

...Forum not enough for you? Chat live with other Windows® fans on our Discord server!

[POLL] First Version Of Windows You Used?

Use this forum to post general Windows®-related discussion that does not fit into one of the specific forums above.

What was the first version of Windows that you used?

1.x
No votes
2.x
No votes
3.x/NT 3.x
No votes
16%
NT 4
No votes
98/98SE
21%
5%
ME
No votes
XP
55%
Vista
No votes
No votes
8.x
3%
No votes

Total votes: 38

TheComputerBetaG
Windows® 98 Second Edition
Favourite Windows® development process: Vista
Favourite Windows® operating system: 7, 98, Vista

Re: [POLL] First Version Of Windows You Used?

Postby TheComputerBetaG » April 19th, 2016, 12:25 pm

MajorSky17 wrote:
TheComputerBetaG wrote:I copied the original screensaver from my virtual Windows 98SE Plus! to my desktop and it works, just a great thing that this jogged my memory about it! Been forever since I have seen it, just only if it allowed you to go through the maze yourself!

I did at one point enjoyed 3D Pipes only because when I had to move from Win98 to Experience, it was the one of the many that would keep my attention, those were the dark ages when I didn't have the 3D Maze :lol:

Haha, oh no! I have it on my Windows 10 install as well, along with all the 9x personalisation goodies. :lol: Just now the desktop themes don't work correctly, as Microsoft have decided in their almighty wisdom to remove the Classic theme! :x

:x I was upset when I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 using the classic theme. It changed everything! I find using the Windows 10 Interface to use more of my RAM than needed.

Vas709
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows 98, Windows XP

Postby Vas709 » April 19th, 2016, 3:34 pm

I used Windows 95 in my early childhood. I played mainly older games but I don't remember which. Windows 95 is as good as Windows 98, and I really like the way Microsoft added a start menu in the taskbar before it was removed in Windows 8. Restarting to real MS-DOS mode was also added for Windows 95, the same way I restarted it in Windows 98.

Vasja Stojkovic

TheComputerBetaG

Postby TheComputerBetaG » April 19th, 2016, 4:38 pm

I like how the systems are now but the older ones seem to be the better ones. Most of these new features, no one really uses unless they are computer wizards and not the general public (Just my opinion, if anyone cares to correct that, I'm fine with that.) The Windows 9x series created what the public knows about computing. Now everything uses more disk space and RAM.

Spriteclad
Windows® 2.1
Windows® 2.1
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn!
Favourite Windows® operating system: 10

Postby Spriteclad » April 20th, 2016, 1:07 am

Windows 95 with Packard Bell Navigator. Ah, those were the days. (Quickly moved onto Windows 98 on a Gateway Essentials computer, however.)

Hamed033
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows XP

Postby Hamed033 » April 20th, 2016, 9:20 pm

The first OS i used was Windows 95,it was arround 2005-2007 and then i broke the PC (and old compaq) by setting the PSU voltage to 110V from 220V because i thought that would fix the issue i had with a game(I was very smart :P ).That caused a power outtage in the entire builing for some reason...I am still fascinated by the spark the PSU made that day,wish i had a camera in my hands back then xD
IRC on FreeNode:#Windows-on-Windows
Born to be wasted.

skyrocket
Windows® 1.0
Windows® 1.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn / Vista
Favourite Windows® operating system: 10

Postby skyrocket » April 20th, 2016, 10:05 pm

MajorSky17 wrote:
skyrocket wrote:
TheComputerBetaG wrote:Yes! I remember that as well! I would always just spend the entire day at my grandparents' house just watching it because of it would just catch my attention.

It's just such a cool screensaver! :D

It is. And to think there were those that preferred 3D Pipes... :shock:

And now, for everyone's enjoyment...

Is there some way to get that on Windows 10? If so, holy crap.
skyrocket
PC: i5 4570 - Gigabyte H87M-D3H - GTX 760 - 8GB RAM - OS X El Capitan & Windows 10
Mobile: Surface 3 (128 / 4) - Nexus 6P - Samsung Gear S2

TheComputerBetaG

Postby TheComputerBetaG » April 20th, 2016, 10:26 pm

Yes, there is. All you need to do is search for it in google and download the .zip file and then extract it to where you can look at it later (on command). Then you go to your screensaver properties and browse for the file.

KPStheKid
Windows® 1.0
Windows® 1.0
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows XP

Postby KPStheKid » April 21st, 2016, 12:50 am

Back in around 2005 - 2006, I watched my mother play internet games on the Windows XP computer we had in the house. One day she let me try out one of the games (I forgot the name of it because it's been so long) but it was some sort of kids puzzle game. I played with it for hours and one time, I opened MS-Paint to spell my name (I was in daycare at the time) and draw random stuff. When I was at daycare, we had a different XP computer and there was some sort of Tonka (kids construction toy brand) game on it and I remember the game glitching and the mouse pointer was leaving trails on the screen and we tried to paint the screen with it. Fun times.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Signature V 2.0~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RGiskeel
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® development process: 7 and 8
Favourite Windows® operating system: 7 SP1 and Embedded 8.1 Industry

Postby RGiskeel » April 23rd, 2016, 3:11 pm

I've started using PCs since 2004 (well, I was still 3 years old at that time), and I used to have this Compaq Deskpro (cant remember the model), that has Windows 98 SE.

I still remember playing this game where you need to break some eggs using a ball or something that's bounced by a person's head (like a brick-breaking game), and after a few moments a dinosaur comes in and tries to distract you, and as far as I'm aware to make him go away temporarily is to swipe the mouse quickly a few times until it falls off, and if you don't, you'll lose a life. However, I forgot the name of it :(

Also, there's another game which, if I remember correctly, you need to save some animals or something, but the gameplay is fairly similar to Mario (kill enemies by hitting their heads, dodge spikes, avoid pits, etc.). There's also a bonus level, and the contents of it is determined by how well you play the level. Also forgot the name of this game :(

Wish I could use that old PC again and install Windows 7 (or XP if it fails) on it... to see how slow it is to the current standards :P
I really doubt that 8.1 and 10 will even run on it, since it probably doesn't support PAE and NX yet, which is needed for the 32-bit minimum.
I'd really like to see if I could tweak Windows 8 Dev Preview beta so that it could be used for everyday stuff!*
*Includes tweaking it to the point where it identifies as Windows 7 SP1.

TheCabage
Windows® 1.0
Windows® 1.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Vienna-Blackthorn
Favourite Windows® operating system: Vista SP2

Postby TheCabage » April 27th, 2016, 7:12 pm

MajorSky17 wrote:Haha, oh no! I have it on my Windows 10 install as well, along with all the 9x personalisation goodies. :lol: Just now the desktop themes don't work correctly, as Microsoft have decided in their almighty wisdom to remove the Classic theme! :x

I know how you feel. I really liked using the Classic theme, and then Windows 8 became a thing and I got a new laptop (which has long since been broken, I now do everything on a really nice custom built desktop. :mrgreen: )

:idea: Microsoft should add in all the themes again at a price, like for adding back in one theme is 1 dollar, or all of the prepackaged themes for 5 dollars (I live in the US, I don't know what they would price it in euros). Then they could add even more custom themes for more money. Microsoft would be rolling in money by that point!

Return to “General Discussion”