Welcome to the Windows On Windows® forum! The forum is free for anyone to use, so come join in the fun!

...Forum not enough for you? Chat live with other Windows® fans on our Discord server!

[POLL] First Version Of Windows You Used?

Use this forum to post general Windows®-related discussion that does not fit into one of the specific forums above.

What was the first version of Windows that you used?

1.x
No votes
2.x
No votes
3.x/NT 3.x
No votes
16%
NT 4
No votes
98/98SE
21%
5%
ME
No votes
XP
55%
Vista
No votes
No votes
8.x
3%
No votes

Total votes: 38

MajorSky17
Site Admin
Favourite Windows® development process: Vista
Favourite Windows® operating system: 7

[POLL] First Version Of Windows You Used?

Postby MajorSky17 » April 18th, 2016, 9:57 am

Hi all,

What was the first version of Windows you used? For me, it was Windows 98SE back in around 1999, when my parents got our first computer. I remember being absolutely amazed by it and I loved customising it with different desktop themes. :lol: I remember 98 came with a selection of themes from Microsoft (called "Plus!") and the internet (when we got it...dial-up, that is :|) was awash with different user-made themes as well. I remember downloading quite a few Star Trek ones. :P Tried scouting online for these "legacy" style themes quite recently and still found a few websites with working downloads. Most are long gone by now, though, which is a shame! :(

Oh, and yeah, I broke our 98 install at least half a dozen times through tinkering with files and settings. I remember deleting autoexec.bat once in order to try to save disk space on our 6GB hard drive...whoops. :oops: This was in the days before System File Protection, of course. Silly Microsoft!

Share your stories!

(See the original thread at the old forums here.)

How to count to 10: 1, 2, 3, 3.1, NT 3.1, NT 3.5, 95, NT 4, 98, 2000, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10.
Splitwirez wrote:Question...why? Why are you trying to make things look MORE like Windows 10?

QCS
Windows® 2.1
Windows® 2.1
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn/Vista
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows 7

Re: [POLL] First Version Of Windows You Used?

Postby QCS » April 18th, 2016, 1:17 pm

Windows 95 was the first one I had at home... However I did get to play with Windows for Workgroups 3.11 at the place my dad worked at back then. :geek:

I honestly don't remember which one came first, so I'm going to say Windows 95! :P

It was a Pentium 166Mhz processor, 32MB of RAM, and 4GB Hard Drive. Running on Windows 95 in 1996... 8-)

I broke that thing, a LOT... through experimentation and just quite a general lack of supervision! (Ahh the good ol' days hehe.) It got taken to the local PC shop at least twice to be fixed. The worst thing I remember doing was leaving a Floppy Disk in the drive while Windows was booting. Every time after that, Windows kept wanting me to insert the boot disk each time. I could easily diagnose this now but back then it was all Witchcraft and Wizardry to me. :ugeek:

InsertGoodNameHere
Windows® 1.0
Windows® 1.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Windows Whistler
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows 7

Postby InsertGoodNameHere » April 18th, 2016, 3:32 pm

I believe it was Windows XP.

I think it was an HP PC, don't know though. There's a picture of me wearing headphones next to the PC, but you don't see it. I can upload it if requested.
Main PC - i5 6600K, EVGA GTX 970 SC, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA Supernova NEX 650G, 16GB DDR4 Kingston Fury (8x2), Corsair H100i GTX, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair 300R

Site: allgooddomainsareused.x10host.com (sef hosting coming soon)

TheComputerBetaG
Windows® 98 Second Edition
Favourite Windows® operating system: 7, 98, Vista

Postby TheComputerBetaG » April 18th, 2016, 4:21 pm

Well, it may help but I'm not any part close to the administration, so I cannot make a decision on that. Would be nice to find out!

skyrocket
Windows® 1.0
Windows® 1.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn / Vista
Favourite Windows® operating system: 10

Postby skyrocket » April 18th, 2016, 8:02 pm

I'm pretty sure it was Windows 98. I fondly remember the maze screensaver and spending hours upon hours watching it.
skyrocket
PC: i5 4570 - Gigabyte H87M-D3H - GTX 760 - 8GB RAM - OS X El Capitan & Windows 10
Mobile: Surface 3 (128 / 4) - Nexus 6P - Samsung Gear S2

TheComputerBetaG

Postby TheComputerBetaG » April 18th, 2016, 9:53 pm

Yes! I remember that as well! I would always just spend the entire day at my grandparents' house just watching it because of it would just catch my attention.

skyrocket
Windows® 1.0
Windows® 1.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn / Vista
Favourite Windows® operating system: 10

Postby skyrocket » April 19th, 2016, 8:00 am

TheComputerBetaG wrote:Yes! I remember that as well! I would always just spend the entire day at my grandparents' house just watching it because of it would just catch my attention.

It's just such a cool screensaver! :D
skyrocket
PC: i5 4570 - Gigabyte H87M-D3H - GTX 760 - 8GB RAM - OS X El Capitan & Windows 10
Mobile: Surface 3 (128 / 4) - Nexus 6P - Samsung Gear S2

MajorSky17
Site Admin

Postby MajorSky17 » April 19th, 2016, 11:34 am

skyrocket wrote:
TheComputerBetaG wrote:Yes! I remember that as well! I would always just spend the entire day at my grandparents' house just watching it because of it would just catch my attention.

It's just such a cool screensaver! :D

It is. And to think there were those that preferred 3D Pipes... :shock:

And now, for everyone's enjoyment...

How to count to 10: 1, 2, 3, 3.1, NT 3.1, NT 3.5, 95, NT 4, 98, 2000, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10.
Splitwirez wrote:Question...why? Why are you trying to make things look MORE like Windows 10?

TheComputerBetaG

Postby TheComputerBetaG » April 19th, 2016, 12:14 pm

I copied the original screensaver from my virtual Windows 98SE Plus! to my desktop and it works, just a great thing that this jogged my memory about it! Been forever since I have seen it, just only if it allowed you to go through the maze yourself!

I did at one point enjoyed 3D Pipes only because when I had to move from Win98 to Experience, it was the one of the many that would keep my attention, those were the dark ages when I didn't have the 3D Maze :lol:

MajorSky17
Site Admin

Postby MajorSky17 » April 19th, 2016, 12:21 pm

TheComputerBetaG wrote:I copied the original screensaver from my virtual Windows 98SE Plus! to my desktop and it works, just a great thing that this jogged my memory about it! Been forever since I have seen it, just only if it allowed you to go through the maze yourself!

I did at one point enjoyed 3D Pipes only because when I had to move from Win98 to Experience, it was the one of the many that would keep my attention, those were the dark ages when I didn't have the 3D Maze :lol:

Haha, oh no! I have it on my Windows 10 install as well, along with all the 9x personalisation goodies. :lol: Just now the desktop themes don't work correctly, as Microsoft have decided in their almighty wisdom to remove the Classic theme! :x

Return to “General Discussion”