Welcome to the Windows On Windows® forum! The forum is free for anyone to use, so come join in the fun!

...Forum not enough for you? Chat live with other Windows® fans on our Discord server!

An overview of Project Neon

Ask a question, respond to a question or post a comment on any part of the development of Windows® 10 here.
teflon
Windows® 1.0
Windows® 1.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows 10

An overview of Project Neon

Postby teflon » March 19th, 2017, 5:19 pm

What is Project Neon?
Project Neon is an update to both MDL (Microsoft Design Language [version 2]) and the Windows SDK.

In MDL, Project Neon will:
  • Add transparency effects back. These take up more than just the title bar, and is named Acrylic.
  • Improve iconography.
  • Encourage developers to add "special effects" to their applications.

Groove and Photos are two great examples of apps that demonstrate neon-like design languages. I have examples pictured below:

In the SDK, Project Neon will:
  • Re-structure XAML to make it more endurable and intuitive to attract developers.
  • Offload more work from developers with things like animations (use WP8 and you'll know what i'm talking about) and templates ported also from the Windows 8 runtime, and Composable Shell.

Composable shell is what UWP was meant to be. Currently, developers have to put in a lot of effort to make the applications scale well across devices, like making the hamburger sidebar disappear on smaller devices, or removing columns from "column-by-column" apps (like Mail).

Composable shell aims to offload all of that work off the developer and on the Windows Runtime. I'm assuming this means more XAML elements to implement, so expect more stuff (like expanding lists) to be included as a bonus.

Spriteclad
Windows® 2.1
Windows® 2.1
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn!
Favourite Windows® operating system: 10

Re: An overview of Project Neon

Postby Spriteclad » March 23rd, 2017, 8:57 pm

Thanks for this topic!! I've always been interested in Neon for a while now, so thank you for making this post.

Return to “Windows® 10 (Codenames "Threshold", "Redstone") [2015]”