Welcome to the Windows On Windows® forum! The forum is free for anyone to use, so come join in the fun!

...Forum not enough for you? Chat live with other Windows® fans on our Discord server!

Thoughts on Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update?

Ask a question, respond to a question or post a comment on any part of the development of Windows® 10 here.
Hamed033
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows XP

Thoughts on Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update?

Postby Hamed033 » August 20th, 2016, 11:13 pm

What are your thoughts on the Anniversary update,what features do you like the most?
Does it make you want to switch from it to another OS?(for Pokemon? :P )
If you`re not a WP user,do you consider switching to it?

For those who havent heard about it,its a new update,the name almost says it all.The new build number is 10.0.14393.67 (previous was 10.0.10586.545 - official,for those who arent singned up for the insider program).The update includes a few new features,some of them are:
+You can use another device to ask Cortana to ring your phone(PC,Tablet,etc.)
+You can control media on the lock screen(not integrated in to the volume control anymore) & there is a camera shortcut (FINALLY!!!!! :D )
+The action centre has better looking notifications (now has pictures next to the notification)
+Changes of the UI,eg. they added icons in settings
+More Cortana improvements (now you can send files to PC)
+You can rearrange toggles in the acion centre
+You can have 16 recent apps in devices with 2GB of RAM or more
-Removed Kids Corner,FM Radio,Wi-FI Sense
+ A lot fo other improvements (dont really feel like typing all of it)
(Screnshots from my Lumia 730 Dual SIM)

My thoughts on it:
I like it a lot more compared to the previous version,mainly because of the new media controls and the camera lockscreen shortcut.The fact that i can rearrange all of the toggles is a bonus too.I decided to switch to WP no matter what happens with it (unless MSFT kills it completely),it was always faster & smoother than Android when i used it (but i really miss the freedom of Android),and in my opinion its better than iOS (had an iPhone 5s (iOS 9.3.1),sold it to buy a 730).In my country i rarely see a person with a Lumia,and it makes me feel special (0.2% marketshare FTW :P ),but there are also a lot of downsides for being special.One of the most noticeable ones is the `App gap´ which is a deal breaker for most the people i know,but since there are developer bridges from Android&iOS I really really hope that the gap is going to be decreased significantly.One of the things that also damaged WP is Pokemon GO,a lot of people switched just because of that.There were attempts to do third-party apps,some of them were really good,but Niantic encypted servers,and the hope was gone(dont get me wrong,Im not against it,thats a good thing to prevent hacks and cheats).As I said in one of my other post,the app gap is caused by a lack of devs that want to make apps for WP,and because of that its loosing on popularity,but we cant get new devs if its not popular,so we either need an exclusive apps that will attract a lot of people (eg. a Yu-Gi-Oh GO app ;) ),or a reason to make devs program apps for WP.(no apps->decreasing popularity->less devs->less apps........-basically an infinite loop).(I will try making apps for windows as soon as i get to learning programming languages in school :D ).So basically thats my thoughts on it,presented in a really bad way because my english isnt going well these days :P
(took me 55 minutes to write this,which is a lot,considering there are only 2 pictures and a small amount of text)

IRC on FreeNode:#Windows-on-Windows
Born to be wasted.

alexandru_c
Windows® 98
Windows® 98
Favourite Windows® development process: Windows Server
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows Server

Re: Thoughts on Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update?

Postby alexandru_c » August 21st, 2016, 4:11 pm

Wait, am I missunderstanding? Please explain me, so, if "my phone" has fm radio and then I upgrade to the AU, I will loose the fm radio function?
I don't own a windows phone "phone" yet and I don't plan do buy one in the near future since I don't really like the mess in the settings it has and some other OS parts.
What can you do with just some basic PHP knowledge: http://splatform.sourceforge.net

Awesome LIVE event right NOW: [url ]http://radiozu.ro/forzazulive/ [ /url] - event over

Hamed033
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0

Postby Hamed033 » August 21st, 2016, 8:52 pm

@alexandru_c
Only the built-in FM Radio app is lost,the functionality stays,so to use it,you have to get a 3rd party app. I tested it in my phone.
Born to be wasted.

alexandru_c
Windows® 98
Windows® 98
Favourite Windows® development process: Windows Server
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows Server

Postby alexandru_c » August 22nd, 2016, 4:06 am

Well, that's bad, now I really want to avoid a windows phone device (I don't want something that looses an official app without any true reason, it's not like the Windows Store is getting filled with microsoft web shortcut and a lot of unusefull stuff, now less official apps? "That put the dot"), last time I used a 3rd party radio app it was a total fail, full of bugs and issues (only one out of 3 worked and they were downloaded from "unknown sources"), it was on my old android phone which lost it's samsung radio app when I installed CyanogenMod on it.
Thanks for letting me know that.
What can you do with just some basic PHP knowledge: http://splatform.sourceforge.net

Awesome LIVE event right NOW: [url ]http://radiozu.ro/forzazulive/ [ /url] - event over

Hamed033
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0

Postby Hamed033 » August 27th, 2016, 10:30 am

*Update*
Seems like the change in API by Niantic doesnt affect the 3rd party app for Pokemon GO for WP.PoGO UWP works,so there is some hope for WP :P
Born to be wasted.

Hamed033
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0

Postby Hamed033 » August 30th, 2016, 7:56 pm

I have found the most useful feature they added in the AU (atleast for me),you can set the mobile internet speed to 3G only (i think there is also 4G only on better devices),this is very useful for me because the 3G signal drops down at some places in my area and the it switches to 2G which is unuseable for me.
Born to be wasted.

nedvire
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn Pre & Post-reset
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows 8 (Not 8.1)

Postby nedvire » August 30th, 2016, 11:08 pm

I'm probably the only person on earth to use Cortana the whole time. Cortana, post for me on Windowsonwindows, NOW!
So, I really like the new things Cortana does.
PowerPoint Simulators - Longhorn - 8.1

feandesign
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® operating system: XP/7

Postby feandesign » August 31st, 2016, 12:19 pm

I still miss the Windows Mobile 6 Today screen. I wonder how it can look in 2016

Return to “Windows® 10 (Codenames "Threshold", "Redstone") [2015]”