Welcome to the Windows On Windows® forum! The forum is free for anyone to use, so come join in the fun!

...Forum not enough for you? Chat live with other Windows® fans on our Discord server!

Where do you see Windows XP still used today?

Ask a question, respond to a question or post a comment on any part of the development of Windows® XP and related versions (e.g. Windows® Fundamentals for Legacy PCs) here.
MS-GIL
Windows® 98
Windows® 98
Favourite Windows® development process: Whistler
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows XP

Re: Where do you see Windows XP still used today?

Postby MS-GIL » August 23rd, 2016, 7:32 am

Saw it the other day on redbox cause the power flickered in the store and restarted the redbox

ImageCheck out my YouTube channel! Just search MS-GIL on YouTube!

CANCEL
Windows® 1.0
Windows® 1.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows 7

Postby CANCEL » August 23rd, 2016, 10:15 pm

St. Luke's still has at least two one is at home with my dad for work at home and the other had a fate I don't know about.

logonoff
Windows® 3.1
Windows® 3.1
Favourite Windows® development process: Windows Longhorn
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows 10 Build 9879

Postby logonoff » August 24th, 2016, 2:02 am

my local eye doctor still uses windows 98 and windows xp for their machines if that counts

MS-GIL
Windows® 98
Windows® 98

Postby MS-GIL » August 24th, 2016, 6:07 am

logonoff wrote:my local eye doctor still uses windows 98 and windows xp for their machines if that counts

Older versions of windows count too :)

nedvire
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn Pre & Post-reset
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows 8 (Not 8.1)

Postby nedvire » August 24th, 2016, 2:59 pm

Have been to a store selling shoes last week and went to checkout when I see this screen with blue and white. Me being curious, I peek and what do I see? Yes, that's right, MS-DOS. The woman had mastered using the keyboard though, she did everything very quickly haha.
PowerPoint Simulators - Longhorn - 8.1

MS-GIL
Windows® 98
Windows® 98

Postby MS-GIL » August 24th, 2016, 11:03 pm

nedvire wrote:Have been to a store selling shoes last week and went to checkout when I see this screen with blue and white. Me being curious, I peek and what do I see? Yes, that's right, MS-DOS. The woman had mastered using the keyboard though, she did everything very quickly haha.

Holy mother of wow. Guess they won't be hacked i suppose :)

alexandru_c
Windows® 98
Windows® 98
Favourite Windows® development process: Windows Server
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows Server

Postby alexandru_c » August 25th, 2016, 2:11 am

MS-GIL wrote:
nedvire wrote:Have been to a store selling shoes last week and went to checkout when I see this screen with blue and white. Me being curious, I peek and what do I see? Yes, that's right, MS-DOS. The woman had mastered using the keyboard though, she did everything very quickly haha.

Yeah, unless they have some kind of weird external connection with something that enables the external user to remote manage somehow that MS-DOS.

Windows 2000 professional can be used as a touch-enabled POS ! I saw the Windows Logo screensaver on a POS machine in a "hypermarket" called Auchan in "Târgu Mureș" (a city from Romania) at a point in time (usually when there is no employee at them they are off, but I guess I was lucky that one time)
EDIT: By POS (since I'm not sure for the exact meaning but I know the reference) I was trying to talk about: a computer that has a touchscreen display connected to it, keyboard+mouse optional, correct inputs for things like printer, cash registry, information displays, bar code scanners and dedicated software for connecting all the things together and also enabling the employee to scan, make math things and calculate the money that a customer needs to pay, etc.)
Better editing now and make sure that I say stuff correctly than never editing (because the edit buton goes away) and letting some stuff to be miss understand.
Also I'm writing from my phone so I apologize for any word that wasn't written correctly.
What can you do with just some basic PHP knowledge: http://splatform.sourceforge.net

Awesome LIVE event right NOW: [url ]http://radiozu.ro/forzazulive/ [ /url] - event over

MS-GIL
Windows® 98
Windows® 98

Postby MS-GIL » August 25th, 2016, 4:02 am

alexandru_c wrote:
MS-GIL wrote:

Yeah, unless they have some kind of weird external connection with something that enables the external user to remote manage somehow that MS-DOS.

Windows 2000 professional can be used as a touch-enabled POS ! I saw the Windows Logo screensaver on a POS machine in a "hypermarket" called Auchan in "Târgu Mureș" (a city from Romania) at a point in time (usually when there is no employee at them they are off, but I guess I was lucky that one time)
EDIT: By POS (since I'm not sure for the exact meaning but I know the reference) I was trying to talk about: a computer that has a touchscreen display connected to it, keyboard+mouse optional, correct inputs for things like printer, cash registry, information displays, bar code scanners and dedicated software for connecting all the things together and also enabling the employee to scan, make math things and calculate the money that a customer needs to pay, etc.)
Better editing now and make sure that I say stuff correctly than never editing (because the edit buton goes away) and letting some stuff to be miss understand.
Also I'm writing from my phone so I apologize for any word that wasn't written correctly.

POS stands for Point of Sales in the business world :)

feandesign
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn
Favourite Windows® operating system: XP/7

Postby feandesign » August 25th, 2016, 10:38 pm

I saw an ATM running XP a few days ago.
Fun fact: Some ATMs in USA still run OS/2 Warp 4.0!

Return to “Windows® XP (Codename "Whistler") [2001]”