Welcome to the Windows On Windows® forum! The forum is free for anyone to use, so come join in the fun!

...Forum not enough for you? Chat live with other Windows® fans on our Discord server!

Graphics problem in VM

Discuss here anything that does not fit into the other areas of the forum. (If you have a suggestion for a new sub-forum, please make it known by posting in the Suggestions Box.)
alexandru_c
Windows® 98
Windows® 98
Favourite Windows® development process: Windows Server
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows Server

Graphics problem in VM

Postby alexandru_c » May 3rd, 2016, 1:58 pm

So, I installed Windows in a VM from VMware, enabled Desktop Experience, turned on the themes process and installed VMware tools. When I set the theme to an aero one, but Windows set it's UI to Basic one. What can I do to force Windows to enable it's Aero style? (Windows is not and can't be activated)

What can you do with just some basic PHP knowledge: http://splatform.sourceforge.net

Awesome LIVE event right NOW: [url ]http://radiozu.ro/forzazulive/ [ /url] - event over

TheComputerBetaG
Windows® 98 Second Edition
Favourite Windows® development process: Vista
Favourite Windows® operating system: 7, 98, Vista

Re: Graphics problem in VM

Postby TheComputerBetaG » May 3rd, 2016, 3:23 pm

Well, that is one of the issues, you cannot change the settings when Windows is not activated.

alexandru_c
Windows® 98
Windows® 98

Postby alexandru_c » May 3rd, 2016, 3:26 pm

TheComputerBetaG wrote:Well, that is one of the issues, you cannot change the settings when Windows is not activated.

But, Windows 7 didn't let you to keep the Aero theme even if your Windows isn't activated? (I don't use Windows 7 because it doesn't run very well on my laptop so I forgot what he does when it isn't activated)
What can you do with just some basic PHP knowledge: http://splatform.sourceforge.net

Awesome LIVE event right NOW: [url ]http://radiozu.ro/forzazulive/ [ /url] - event over

TheComputerBetaG

Postby TheComputerBetaG » May 3rd, 2016, 3:46 pm

It all depends on how much RAM and such you allotted for your machine to work with. If it doesn't have enough, it may choose the Windows Classic theme for better performance. You can try to look at your performance options and see if you can change it.

alexandru_c
Windows® 98
Windows® 98

Postby alexandru_c » May 3rd, 2016, 3:54 pm

TheComputerBetaG wrote:It all depends on how much RAM and such you allotted for your machine to work with. If it doesn't have enough, it may choose the Windows Classic theme for better performance. You can try to look at your performance options and see if you can change it.

Right now I don't care about performances, I asked if Windows 7 changes your theme to the basic one if your Windows trial ends or it does let you keep the aero theme, because you did said that it may be because the Windows isn't activated. I asked that because I didn't use Windows 7 for a long period of time because my laptop hates it and the Windows I never tested the Windows wich I have in the VM with aero (but I did used it with themes services off => classic style themes only)

TheComputerBetaG

Postby TheComputerBetaG » May 3rd, 2016, 4:05 pm

Well, Windows 7 has settings where it will disable the aero theme if it is set to "Set to better performance." I know only because I had to use it for my VM because it only has about 1.2Gb of RAM which is about 30% of my Host RAM, so it was running very slowly and needed to increase the performance, so it disabled aero, aero peak for desktop, and all window animations.

Use this as a check to see if it is set to Better Performance.

Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type Performance Information and Tools, and then, in the list of results, click Performance Information and Tools.

Click Adjust visual effects. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the Visual Effects tab, click Adjust for best performance, and then click OK. (For a less drastic option, select Let Windows choose what’s best for my computer.)

alexandru_c
Windows® 98
Windows® 98

Postby alexandru_c » May 3rd, 2016, 4:25 pm

TheComputerBetaG wrote:Well, Windows 7 has settings where it will disable the aero theme if it is set to "Set to better performance." I know only because I had to use it for my VM because it only has about 1.2Gb of RAM which is about 30% of my Host RAM, so it was running very slowly and needed to increase the performance, so it disabled aero, aero peak for desktop, and all window animations.

Use this as a check to see if it is set to Better Performance.

Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type Performance Information and Tools, and then, in the list of results, click Performance Information and Tools.

Click Adjust visual effects. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the Visual Effects tab, click Adjust for best performance, and then click OK. (For a less drastic option, select Let Windows choose what’s best for my computer.)

"Set to better performance" isn't selected. I don't want better performance.
We misunderstanding us. Let me ask again with pictures this time.

So, I have this Windows clean install with themes services stopped.
Screenshot_5.png
(170.71 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
Screenshot_5.png
(170.71 KiB) Downloaded 356 times

I enabled the themes services to select the Aero theme.
Also, I did set this:
Screenshot_6.png
(272.33 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
Screenshot_6.png
(272.33 KiB) Downloaded 356 times

But Windows still doesn't let me use the Aero themes. VMware video drivers are installed.
Screenshot_7.png
(204.95 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
Screenshot_7.png
(204.95 KiB) Downloaded 356 times

TheComputerBetaG

Postby TheComputerBetaG » May 3rd, 2016, 4:30 pm

It looks like you have aero enabled, look at your taskbar and title bar.

alexandru_c
Windows® 98
Windows® 98

Postby alexandru_c » May 3rd, 2016, 4:35 pm

TheComputerBetaG wrote:It looks like you have aero enabled, look at your taskbar and title bar.

That's the basic theme, not the aero one.

TheComputerBetaG

Postby TheComputerBetaG » May 3rd, 2016, 5:28 pm

It shows Windows 7 Aero selected.

Return to “The Lounge”