Welcome to the Windows On Windows® forum! The forum is free for anyone to use, so come join in the fun!

...Forum not enough for you? Chat live with other Windows® fans on our Discord server!

Current Operating System You Use

Discuss here anything that does not fit into the other areas of the forum. (If you have a suggestion for a new sub-forum, please make it known by posting in the Suggestions Box.)
Spriteclad
Windows® 2.1
Windows® 2.1
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn!
Favourite Windows® operating system: 10

Re: Current Operating System You Use

Postby Spriteclad » April 23rd, 2016, 4:23 pm

Am I the only one here who prefers 10 to 7?! I honestly really dig the UI, way better than 8's in my opinion. Plus, some of the built in apps I actually use (such as the Weather app). And yes, while it is shady that you have to turn everything that tracks you off, the "telemetry" that is still left on after that doesn't even track your personal info. It doesn't. And I don't know what you guys are talking about, but I haven't had many bugs with 10. Though, maybe I just got lucky or something. I don't know.

I HAD a problem directly upgrading and I had to clean reinstall, but that was on a very bad hard drive that was slow and buggy, so. (Plus it's dead now.) And I don't mind the automatic updates, though I do agree that there SHOULD be an easy way to turn them off.

Though I gotta be honest, I still love 7's Aero better. Still the best looking OS, damnit.

RGiskeel
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® development process: 7 and 8
Favourite Windows® operating system: 7 SP1 and Embedded 8.1 Industry

Postby RGiskeel » April 23rd, 2016, 5:03 pm

Prepare for something unusual I do...

Well, I'm QUAD-BOOTING Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, and Ubuntu 14.04 at the same time, on the same PC!
I found out that there are some compatibility issues with some programs and Windows 10, and one of the programs that doesn't work is 13KeyClick, that can't even be solved by using the built-in compat. mode. However, it did work before I upgraded my PC to 10, so I decided to make a new partition, and install Windows 7 there instead of reinstalling the whole thing.

I use Windows 8.1 to do some random tweaks like using Classic Shell, Windows classic theme, Aero, and so on. Also, it's not a regular Windows 8.1, but it's actually Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Enterprise (don't ask how I got it :P )

Last but not least, I use Ubuntu 14.04 so that the risk of being infected with malware when browsing the web is reduced (there are far less malware on Ubuntu than on Windows). I'm starting to get really scared of ransomware since the chance of recovery after being caught by one is close to zero.
I'd really like to see if I could tweak Windows 8 Dev Preview beta so that it could be used for everyday stuff!*
*Includes tweaking it to the point where it identifies as Windows 7 SP1.

TheComputerBetaG
Windows® 98 Second Edition
Favourite Windows® development process: Vista
Favourite Windows® operating system: 7, 98, Vista

Postby TheComputerBetaG » May 3rd, 2016, 5:45 pm

RGiskeel wrote:I use Windows 8.1 to do some random tweaks like using Classic Shell, Windows classic theme, Aero, and so on. Also, it's not a regular Windows 8.1, but it's actually Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Enterprise (don't ask how I got it :P )

Did pirates come over and give you a little taste of Windows?

alexandru_c
Windows® 98
Windows® 98
Favourite Windows® development process: Windows Server
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows Server

Postby alexandru_c » May 3rd, 2016, 5:49 pm

SonicKnuckles1998 wrote:Windows 10 Home November Update x64 (will they make the name smaller? o_O)

Honestly, why am I torturing myself? I hate Windows 10 almost as much as I did with 8.1. Sure, Windows 10 doesn't blue screen as much as Windows 8.1 did, but WHAT DID THEY DO TO THE UI?! Come on, the UI was great on Windows 95-7, okay on 8, but what happened on 10? It looks like something that an 8 year old kid would make in MS Paint! If the UI wasn't enough, I am being FORCED into installing updates, even when I don't want them! I know I could get Windows 10 Pro, which supposedly fixes that, but why do I need to pay more to get rid of stuff I don't want?! Also, what happened to the start menu? The first Windows 10 build had a good start menu, but now it is a buggy mess that looks terrible! To top it all off, now I am getting an issue where I cannot right-click taskbar icons, open the start menu, or interact with the notification icons and action center! That should be fixed before you release an OS! I never had that problem in Windows 7 or 8! Why here?! Honestly, I wish I could downgrade to 7, but wait, MICROSOFT IS FORCING YOU ONTO WINDOWS 10, so it looks like I can stay with a terrible OS, go back to XP/Vista, or use Linux. Sorry for a wall of text ranting on Windows 10, but that is just my opinion of Spyware OS, I mean Windows 10.

Let's not forget that if you upgrade using the MediaCreationTool, your drivers will be deleted and Windows won't download your drivers again and also on my tablet, it fails to boot sometime and it gets stuck on a black screen.
What can you do with just some basic PHP knowledge: http://splatform.sourceforge.net

Awesome LIVE event right NOW: [url ]http://radiozu.ro/forzazulive/ [ /url] - event over

esc1010
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® development process: XP
Favourite Windows® operating system: 7

Postby esc1010 » May 3rd, 2016, 7:09 pm

Windows 10 Home Insider Preview
Build 14295.rs1_release.160318-1628

TheComputerBetaG
Favourite Windows® development process: Vista
Favourite Windows® operating system: 7, 98, Vista

Postby TheComputerBetaG » May 4th, 2016, 9:54 am

I now use Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 14338
Windows 2000 Service Pack 4

QCS
Windows® 2.1
Windows® 2.1
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn/Vista
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows 7

Postby QCS » May 4th, 2016, 1:06 pm

SonicKnuckles1998 wrote:but that is just my opinion of Spyware OS, I mean Windows 10.

At least you can still get into the registry and disable the majority of it... for now. *Knocks on wood* :(

Try doing that on any modern smartphone/tablet platform... not quite as easy. Not to mention if you've actually read the terms and conditions to any social media website, you'll quickly realise why it was free to join...

It's a spy spy spy spy world.

The Current Operating Systems I Use are Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 10 Pro.

tracer
Windows® 1.0
Windows® 1.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Windows Longhorn PostReset
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows 7

Postby tracer » July 2nd, 2016, 1:12 pm

I have Windows 10 Home TH2 and Vista SP2, the latter might change or remain ... depends on mood and free time i have.

Splitwirez
Windows® 95
Windows® 95
Favourite Windows® development process: Vista/Longhorn
Favourite Windows® operating system: WinLH 4039, Win8 7850, Win8.1 9600 (w/ mods)

Postby Splitwirez » July 2nd, 2016, 3:01 pm

I use Windows 8.1 update 1 on my main computer (you'd never recognize it though, right now it looks like Vista 5219, in a week it'll probably look like some Whistler build). And I'm not planning on upgrading to Windows 10.

I use MicroXP on my secondary computer (I needed a slimmer OS than Vista RTM, plus Styler only works properly on XP. I'd never pirate anything which was still sold new, but XP isn't, so...gah, I still feel a bit guilty. But they don't sell XP anymore D: )

My third computer (same hardware as second) runs whatever build(s) of Longhorn I can manage to install on it. Usually corresponds to the Visual Style I'm developing on my main computer, whenever possible.

Oh and they're all laptops ._.
ImageImage

theEstnet
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Whistler
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows Vista

Postby theEstnet » July 2nd, 2016, 3:31 pm

I'm just using vanilla Windows 10 Pro 10240.
I've tried updating it, but Windows doesn't let you install updates via mobile networks.
Thanks Windows, except that's the only connection I have...
Computers: Some really bad HP Pavilion Laptop (main) [Win 10], Dell Dimension 5000 (backup) [Anything I can throw at it] , Dell Studio 1535 (broken) [Win 7]
"A HUM4N G0D THA7 WAS MAN-M4DE
WH3RE 1S Y0UR SAViOR N0W?!"
-Virus.Win32.Savior

Return to “The Lounge”