Welcome to the Windows On Windows® forum! The forum is free for anyone to use, so come join in the fun!

...Forum not enough for you? Chat live with other Windows® fans on our Discord server!

Current Operating System You Use

Discuss here anything that does not fit into the other areas of the forum. (If you have a suggestion for a new sub-forum, please make it known by posting in the Suggestions Box.)
Vas709
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows 98, Windows XP

Current Operating System You Use

Postby Vas709 » April 20th, 2016, 9:22 am

What operating system are you currently using?

I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I originally didn't like Windows 7 because Microsoft Agent got unsupported by Microsoft. But after I migrated from Windows XP and Windows 8.1 I changed my opinion about Windows 7. I think Windows 7 is as successful as Windows XP was, and it's still the most popular OS.

I really like the way Microsoft added Aero theme because it has an excellent transparent style. Icons such as folders, computer monitor and recycle bin also look very nice. Windows 7 is also customizable, like changing the color of window borders, start menu, taskbar, and the ability to choose wallpapers for the desktop. Sound effects (like startup and shutdown) also sound peaceful. Gadgets also include useful features, like the weather (even though the weather gadget does not work for me anymore).

Vasja Stojkovic

TheComputerBetaG
Windows® 98 Second Edition
Favourite Windows® development process: Vista
Favourite Windows® operating system: 7, 98, Vista

Re: Current Operating System You Use

Postby TheComputerBetaG » April 20th, 2016, 4:30 pm

I use two Operating Systems as I use the two with different purposes. I use Windows 10 (Pro - Insider Preview Build 14316 [as of 20 April 2016]) and Windows 7 Ultimate. They are both x64 bit systems so they can handle a little more than x86 (32-bit) systems.

Yes, I know, why wouldn't I just upgrade my Windows 7 to Windows 10? Well, since the Ultimate and Enterprise versions are not able to be upgraded to Windows 10 because they don't have the corresponding versions of for the newer Operating System.

I still use Windows 7 because of it holds applications that are not--yet compatible for Windows 10, and I use it because I like the aero theme (if anyone knows how to make aero, or even the classic theme, available for Windows 10, I would love to hear how to do that!) and the effects are great!

I'm not 'bash'ing Windows 10 for these differences because I like Windows 10 as well, it's just been a little difficult to run it on my refurbished computer in which originally held Windows 7 Professional. The new themes cause my computer to slow down at some points (it only has 4GB of RAM and crashes sometimes. Probably because of the hardware is a little out of support, but I may need to make that a new project of mine.)

Hamed033
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows XP

Postby Hamed033 » April 20th, 2016, 9:10 pm

Used to have a trio-boot with Vista/W7/W8/10(depending on my mood xD) and XP and a linux distro.I changed it because my HDD started acting weird.Now i just run a dual boot of MicroXP (MajorSky17 did a video on it) and Peppermint OS 6.
IRC on FreeNode:#Windows-on-Windows
Born to be wasted.

skyrocket
Windows® 1.0
Windows® 1.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn / Vista
Favourite Windows® operating system: 10

Postby skyrocket » April 20th, 2016, 10:07 pm

I'm dual booting between Windows 10 and OS X El Capitan on my PC, which I built about a year and a half ago as a Hackintosh. Currently, since I've recieved my Surface 3, I've been using (and enjoying) Windows 10 more and more.
skyrocket
PC: i5 4570 - Gigabyte H87M-D3H - GTX 760 - 8GB RAM - OS X El Capitan & Windows 10
Mobile: Surface 3 (128 / 4) - Nexus 6P - Samsung Gear S2

logonoff
Windows® 3.1
Windows® 3.1
Favourite Windows® development process: Windows Longhorn
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows 10 Build 9879

Postby logonoff » April 20th, 2016, 10:20 pm

dualbooting Ubuntu and Windows 10 on one PC, on the other it's fedora

MajorSky17
Site Admin
Favourite Windows® operating system: 7

Postby MajorSky17 » April 21st, 2016, 12:01 am

I run Windows 10 on my desktop and Surface Pro, and ME on an old c. 2000 laptop. I used to dual boot Windows 2000 on my desktop, but when I upgraded my hard drive a while back I couldn't find any working drivers for it. :(
How to count to 10: 1, 2, 3, 3.1, NT 3.1, NT 3.5, 95, NT 4, 98, 2000, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10.
Splitwirez wrote:Question...why? Why are you trying to make things look MORE like Windows 10?

TheComputerBetaG

Postby TheComputerBetaG » April 21st, 2016, 12:13 am

Unfortunately, that's too shabby. Windows 2000 seems to work with a Virtual Machine, so I figure it would work if the hardware was original. Again, sorry about the hard drive failure.

KPStheKid
Windows® 1.0
Windows® 1.0

Postby KPStheKid » April 21st, 2016, 1:17 am

Windows 10 Home Edition (64-Bit).

This computer was originally a Windows 8 laptop (then upgraded to 8.1) and so far, I wish I could go all the way down to 7. While Windows 10 does have some features I like, most of them are useless to me. I also don't like how you can't turn off automatic updates. Microsoft's reasoning behind this is "So your PC is always secured and never outdated". While you can change the time for the updates to install, most of the time you aren't aware that updates are being downloaded. I'd at least like a notification before it's about to download updates so I can change when they install. I've gotten to the point now where I wish I didn't upgrade and I stayed with Windows 8.1. My computer worked better with 8.1 honestly. I have to go through my settings once a week just to make sure Microsoft didn't change my privacy setting when it updated. I also miss descriptions of the updates so I know what they do instead of just the name. This is why people Like Windows 7 so much. It has everything you want without all the extra addons that you don't want. It's clean, it's beautiful, and it's less of a hassle to get to work.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Signature V 2.0~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SonicKnuckles1998
Windows® 2.1
Windows® 2.1
Favourite Windows® development process: Windows Longhorn

Postby SonicKnuckles1998 » April 22nd, 2016, 12:10 am

Windows 10 Home November Update x64 (will they make the name smaller? o_O)

Honestly, why am I torturing myself? I hate Windows 10 almost as much as I did with 8.1. Sure, Windows 10 doesn't blue screen as much as Windows 8.1 did, but WHAT DID THEY DO TO THE UI?! Come on, the UI was great on Windows 95-7, okay on 8, but what happened on 10? It looks like something that an 8 year old kid would make in MS Paint! If the UI wasn't enough, I am being FORCED into installing updates, even when I don't want them! I know I could get Windows 10 Pro, which supposedly fixes that, but why do I need to pay more to get rid of stuff I don't want?! Also, what happened to the start menu? The first Windows 10 build had a good start menu, but now it is a buggy mess that looks terrible! To top it all off, now I am getting an issue where I cannot right-click taskbar icons, open the start menu, or interact with the notification icons and action center! That should be fixed before you release an OS! I never had that problem in Windows 7 or 8! Why here?! Honestly, I wish I could downgrade to 7, but wait, MICROSOFT IS FORCING YOU ONTO WINDOWS 10, so it looks like I can stay with a terrible OS, go back to XP/Vista, or use Linux. Sorry for a wall of text ranting on Windows 10, but that is just my opinion of Spyware OS, I mean Windows 10.

TheComputerBetaG

Postby TheComputerBetaG » April 22nd, 2016, 5:24 am

SonicKnuckles1998 wrote:Windows 10 Home November Update x64 (will they make the name smaller? o_O)

Honestly, why am I torturing myself? I hate Windows 10 almost as much as I did with 8.1. Sure, Windows 10 doesn't blue screen as much as Windows 8.1 did, but WHAT DID THEY DO TO THE UI?! Come on, the UI was great on Windows 95-7, okay on 8, but what happened on 10? It looks like something that an 8 year old kid would make in MS Paint! If the UI wasn't enough, I am being FORCED into installing updates, even when I don't want them! I know I could get Windows 10 Pro, which supposedly fixes that, but why do I need to pay more to get rid of stuff I don't want?! Also, what happened to the start menu? The first Windows 10 build had a good start menu, but now it is a buggy mess that looks terrible! To top it all off, now I am getting an issue where I cannot right-click taskbar icons, open the start menu, or interact with the notification icons and action center! That should be fixed before you release an OS! I never had that problem in Windows 7 or 8! Why here?! Honestly, I wish I could downgrade to 7, but wait, MICROSOFT IS FORCING YOU ONTO WINDOWS 10, so it looks like I can stay with a terrible OS, go back to XP/Vista, or use Linux. Sorry for a wall of text ranting on Windows 10, but that is just my opinion of Spyware OS, I mean Windows 10.

Very true! I hate how they are automatically upgrading the public to the new OS. Seems like they want to have something easier to inject the computers with "updates".

Return to “The Lounge”