Welcome to the Windows On Windows® forum! The forum is free for anyone to use, so come join in the fun!

...Forum not enough for you? Chat live with other Windows® fans on our Discord server!

Dial-up Over VoIP

Discuss here anything that does not fit into the other areas of the forum. (If you have a suggestion for a new sub-forum, please make it known by posting in the Suggestions Box.)
MS-GIL
Windows® 98
Windows® 98
Favourite Windows® development process: Whistler
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows XP

Dial-up Over VoIP

Postby MS-GIL » May 29th, 2016, 6:49 am

So about a month ago, I decided to try something a little different. At my house we still use a landline and have the Ooma Telo VoIP service. I decided to take an old laptop from around the year 2000 and connect to dial up on it. I had to set AOL to dial a certain number before dialing the access number (*99 i believe) and it went through and the connection went though. However, I believe the laptop or AOL 9.0 would not hold the connection because it would connect for about 3 seconds and drop. Has anyone attempted creative ways to use dial-up such as using a cellphone adapter (like my grandpa did when he used to travel)? I am curious to see if anyone uses dial-up anymore also.

ImageCheck out my YouTube channel! Just search MS-GIL on YouTube!

alexandru_c
Windows® 98
Windows® 98
Favourite Windows® development process: Windows Server
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows Server

Re: Dial-up Over VoIP

Postby alexandru_c » September 3rd, 2016, 12:51 pm

It would be interesting to test if my modem from my HP Laptop still works if I install Windows 2000 on it (HP finally uploaded drivers for Windows 2000 on the laptop's page) but sadly, I can't take the risk of being forced to pay because I used my network, tv and mobile phone provider wired phone connection to do such things (also I think that the wire was "disabled" and doesn't work anymore when the contract has changed to remove the wired phone from the bill - the phone wire is somewhere under my desk forgotten around dust and more wires which are used right now -)
What can you do with just some basic PHP knowledge: http://splatform.sourceforge.net

Awesome LIVE event right NOW: [url ]http://radiozu.ro/forzazulive/ [ /url] - event over

MS-GIL
Windows® 98
Windows® 98

Postby MS-GIL » September 3rd, 2016, 7:15 pm

alexandru_c wrote:It would be interesting to test if my modem from my HP Laptop still works if I install Windows 2000 on it (HP finally uploaded drivers for Windows 2000 on the laptop's page) but sadly, I can't take the risk of being forced to pay because I used my network, tv and mobile phone provider wired phone connection to do such things (also I think that the wire was "disabled" and doesn't work anymore when the contract has changed to remove the wired phone from the bill - the phone wire is somewhere under my desk forgotten around dust and more wires which are used right now -)

Yeah, we got rid of our landline. I was planning on doing it over that but I believe mine is disabled also

alexandru_c
Windows® 98
Windows® 98

Postby alexandru_c » September 9th, 2016, 1:42 pm

MS-GIL wrote:Yeah, we got rid of our landline. I was planning on doing it over that but I believe mine is disabled also

Mine looks like I actually still have power over it, so it's not still yet disconnected from their connection but there is no tone from that phone (it's not that phone's fault - the one on which I tested in the photo - how their provided phone sometime did). Well, "emergency power" for "free", not bad! :)
What can you do with just some basic PHP knowledge: http://splatform.sourceforge.net

Awesome LIVE event right NOW: [url ]http://radiozu.ro/forzazulive/ [ /url] - event over

MS-GIL
Windows® 98
Windows® 98

Postby MS-GIL » September 9th, 2016, 11:52 pm

You can use it for power which is kinda funny :)

alexandru_c
Windows® 98
Windows® 98

Postby alexandru_c » September 10th, 2016, 12:00 am

MS-GIL wrote:You can use it for power which is kinda funny :)

Yeah, but I don't know what I can power over that wire right now other than a wired phone (the one in the picture above is the only wired phone we still have - by that I mean that it's the only phone that can connect to a wired telephone service - )
Also I don't think that I would be able in case of an emergency to call to "112" from that wire since "once it's disconnected, it's disconnected" so the phone should not be able to communicate (how a cell phone does here, you can't call to an emergency service until you have some kind of a service)

"112" here it's the emergency phone for: Ambulance; Police; Fireman. (Each of them have their special number too, like "911" for police -if I remember correctly - but the "112" is the main emergency number that is able to contact all of them at the same time and also you are teach in school to use it in case of an emergency)
Last edited by alexandru_c on September 10th, 2016, 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

MS-GIL
Windows® 98
Windows® 98

Postby MS-GIL » September 10th, 2016, 12:32 am

Not really sure to be honest

delmetola
Windows® 1.0
Windows® 1.0

Dial up Over VoIP

Postby delmetola » November 13th, 2016, 3:20 pm

Sometimes we use air cards at work for remote computer connection and they do pretty good as long as you have a good signal. Definately quicker than dial-up.

Return to “The Lounge”