Welcome to the Windows On Windows® forum! The forum is free for anyone to use, so come join in the fun!

...Forum not enough for you? Chat live with other Windows® fans on our Discord server!

The Obligatory Desktop Screenshot Thread

Discuss here anything that does not fit into the other areas of the forum. (If you have a suggestion for a new sub-forum, please make it known by posting in the Suggestions Box.)
alexandru_c
Windows® 98
Windows® 98
Favourite Windows® development process: Windows Server
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows Server

Re: The Obligatory Desktop Screenshot Thread

Postby alexandru_c » February 6th, 2017, 7:41 pm

Splitwirez wrote:
alexandru_c wrote:But I'm doing it with CentOS 7 :D

a) What is that?
b) Did you turn it into Windows 10 or was it already like that?

a) https://www.centos.org/about/
"The CentOS Linux distribution is a stable, predictable, manageable and reproducible platform derived from the sources of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)."
Basically, RHEL "for free"... what is that? A Linux Enterprise distribution ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux )

b) No, it wasn't already like that.
RHEL uses GNOME3 as the default desktop environment (with GTK on) and it looks like this:

What I'm doing is using web resources to make it look as close to Windows as I can on different desktop environment (like: MATE, Cinnamon).
The only thing that is from the distro is that Windows Classic bar from this screenshot:
(Those icons are from the internet)

Also, right now I'm working on Cinnamon desktop environment:

After that I'm going to work on Mate desktop environment to improve the windows-like experience (Mate progress can be seen in the last post I made)

alexandru_c
Windows® 98
Windows® 98

Postby alexandru_c » February 7th, 2017, 12:14 am

Update on HP Compaq 6910p:

Windows 10 got replaced by OS X Lion then by Mountain Lion and after that it got replaced with CentOS 7 (x86_64) on which I installed Cinnamon, Mate and Xfce :) Cinnamon and Mate are windows 10 look-ready:

Cinnamon is currently still work-in-progress.
Xfce is just installed, I didn't do anything to it at the time I'm posting this.
What can you do with just some basic PHP knowledge: http://splatform.sourceforge.net

Awesome LIVE event right NOW: [url ]http://radiozu.ro/forzazulive/ [ /url] - event over

Splitwirez
Windows® 95
Windows® 95
Favourite Windows® development process: Vista/Longhorn
Favourite Windows® operating system: WinLH 4039, Win8 7850, Win8.1 9600 (w/ mods)

Postby Splitwirez » February 7th, 2017, 2:10 am

Question...why? Why are you trying to make things look MORE like Windows 10?
ImageImage

MajorSky17
Site Admin
Favourite Windows® development process: Vista
Favourite Windows® operating system: 7

Postby MajorSky17 » February 7th, 2017, 1:21 pm

Splitwirez wrote:Question...why? Why are you trying to make things look MORE like Windows 10?

Imma give this a sig tag. :lol:
How to count to 10: 1, 2, 3, 3.1, NT 3.1, NT 3.5, 95, NT 4, 98, 2000, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10.
Splitwirez wrote:Question...why? Why are you trying to make things look MORE like Windows 10?

Splitwirez
Windows® 95
Windows® 95
Favourite Windows® operating system: WinLH 4039, Win8 7850, Win8.1 9600 (w/ mods)

Postby Splitwirez » February 7th, 2017, 1:56 pm

MajorSky17 wrote:

Imma give this a sig tag. :lol:

I'm not sure if I should be flattered or frustrated...on one hand I'm flattered that you'd want to do that...but on the other hand, I'm kinda embarrassed because in hindsight, I realized that post kinda sounded like I was trying to put alexandru_c down for wanting to do that...AND I PRIDE MYSELF IN RESPECTING DIFFERING OPINIONS AND THEIR EQUAL VALIDITY, WHAT IS THIS!? .__________.

...if I fixed the post to clarify that, would you update your signature accordingly?
EDIT: Nvm...I can't edit the post anymore...why is there a limited window of time to edit posts? .-.
ImageImage

alexandru_c
Windows® 98
Windows® 98

Postby alexandru_c » February 7th, 2017, 2:09 pm

Well, is the only Windows version I have access to get resource from if needed (24/7).

Also, GNOME3 is the only desktop environment which I like how it looks with it's default settings, sadly, it require too much resources from my integrated graphics card so I had to change it to another desktop environment which doesn't require that much resources to work. (Intel GMA X3100 with Intel Open Source Technology Center | Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM | 2.1 Mesa 11.2.2 graphics also, the linux kernel was full of errors in GNOME3 because of the GPU).

And, I don't like the default look of MATE and Xfce and also I'm too lazy to install XUbuntu (for xfce) & Ubuntu Mate (for MATE) just to get their customization on my CentOS system... (not enough space on any of my hard drives & ubuntu doesn't play well with my computers also some customizations may require installation / compiling of applets, on ubuntu & debian there is no problem with that but, on CentOS I don't have the required repos to do any of those things, CentOS isn't designed for desktop use but is the only distro which plays well with my hardware).

Also, I like Windows 8.1's look but to get the title bar colors in the Cinnamon's, MATE's, Xfce's panels isn't a fun process.
For example, this is my panel right now if I turn on transparency to max level:
(it should be all transparent, but as seen in the screenshot, it isn't)

+ I'm not a fan of ton of customizations anyway so I wasn't going for something "wow" either. (I like to see those kind of things but I don't like to use them on a system on which I do work / I just listen to media content)

Why I didn't just left Windows 10 if I'm just trying to get something similar to it?
Because my temperatures in Windows 10 are near 100C and my fan is at full speed and also recently it started to sound like a near to death hard drive... so I had to change it with something that allow me to do work without too many / any lag.
Old screenshot from Windows 10:

The programs I need to use require at least Windows 7. Windows 7 hates me and also I'm tired of getting windows to work (I just very recently reinstalled 3 Windows operating systems on two computers because of performance / drivers / hard drive & dvd drive detection issues and a month ago I had to reinstall Windows XP on the same system for at least 5 times because of errors in detection of integrated network on a very old motherboard - It detected once but the GPU driver killed the whole system that time << unable to boot >>, after that, it refused to detect the integrated network card and also it had some very weird issues that made me to reinstall it in hope for better results -)

Splitwirez
Windows® 95
Windows® 95

Postby Splitwirez » February 7th, 2017, 4:21 pm

...k? ._.
ImageImage

ShinyElGhosteo
Windows® 1.0
Windows® 1.0
Favourite Windows® operating system: XP/8.1

Postby ShinyElGhosteo » February 19th, 2017, 7:13 am

Here's mine :)
Capture.PNG
(1.45 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Capture.PNG
(1.45 MiB) Not downloaded yet
This is my signature.

logonoff
Windows® 3.1
Windows® 3.1
Favourite Windows® development process: Windows Longhorn
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows 10 Build 9879

Postby logonoff » March 13th, 2017, 9:58 pm

since the shortened image doesn't work anymore:
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
there's still a limit for pictures .-.

Splitwirez
Windows® 95
Windows® 95

Postby Splitwirez » April 4th, 2017, 1:07 am

ImageImage

Return to “The Lounge”