Welcome to the Windows On Windows® forum! The forum is free for anyone to use, so come join in the fun!

...Forum not enough for you? Chat live with other Windows® fans on our Discord server!

Computer viruses

If you have a technical interest aside from operating systems, discuss it in this forum. This may include questions or discussion about certain hardware and software. [Note: This is not a help forum.]
skyrocket
Windows® 1.0
Windows® 1.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn / Vista
Favourite Windows® operating system: 10

Re: Computer viruses

Postby skyrocket » April 21st, 2016, 9:43 pm

Hamed033 wrote:
skyrocket wrote:As with many others, I haven't had to deal with viruses and / or malware on my own personal systems. I guess it's just a combination of browsing habits and adblocking software. I'm the resident tech support for my friends and family and it's pretty crazy how many viruses / malware / spyware I have to deal with often.

Almost the same case with me,i dont get why do people think that if something pops up saying you have viruses is legit :P
Also i havent used an anti virus since 2012 i think,when i switched to linux,windows then became a worst case scenario option. (I remember testing out Comodo arround 2014,for a week or so).

People just seem to lack common sense when it comes to browsing the internet / using the computer in general. They don't stop to think, they don't take caution or understand it. I've been trying to teach "good browsing habits" to the friends and family who aren't so literate with computers, and it goes a long way. There are also those people, on the other end of the spectrum, who are too scared to do anything on the computer because of viruses and / or having their "information" be stolen.

It's interesting. We can't win.

skyrocket
PC: i5 4570 - Gigabyte H87M-D3H - GTX 760 - 8GB RAM - OS X El Capitan & Windows 10
Mobile: Surface 3 (128 / 4) - Nexus 6P - Samsung Gear S2

logonoff
Windows® 3.1
Windows® 3.1
Favourite Windows® development process: Windows Longhorn
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows 10 Build 9879

Postby logonoff » April 21st, 2016, 9:45 pm

skyrocket wrote:
Hamed033 wrote:
skyrocket wrote:As with many others, I haven't had to deal with viruses and / or malware on my own personal systems. I guess it's just a combination of browsing habits and adblocking software. I'm the resident tech support for my friends and family and it's pretty crazy how many viruses / malware / spyware I have to deal with often.

Almost the same case with me,i dont get why do people think that if something pops up saying you have viruses is legit :P
Also i havent used an anti virus since 2012 i think,when i switched to linux,windows then became a worst case scenario option. (I remember testing out Comodo arround 2014,for a week or so).

People just seem to lack common sense when it comes to browsing the internet / using the computer in general. They don't stop to think, they don't take caution or understand it. I've been trying to teach "good browsing habits" to the friends and family who aren't so literate with computers, and it goes a long way. There are also those people, on the other end of the spectrum, who are too scared to do anything on the computer because of viruses and / or having their "information" be stolen.

It's interesting. We can't win.

Or install a good antivirus and use common sense in the internet, and you won't get viruses.

KPStheKid
Windows® 1.0
Windows® 1.0
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows XP

Postby KPStheKid » April 22nd, 2016, 12:58 am

I remember having a Vista Computer that broke down because of some viruses that it had. Worst of all, we used AVG Free as an Anti-Virus program. The computer would barely run and was stuck in an infinite booting loop. We tried getting it fixed but, the people who fixed it weren't exactly the best at their job. They claimed that they "wiped" the hard drive of the computer but we found out they were saving screenshots of Skype chatlogs and we found other weird things in our browser history. We finally got rid of that computer after about 2 months.

2012 was a great year for us.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Signature V 2.0~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RGiskeel
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® development process: 7 and 8
Favourite Windows® operating system: 7 SP1 and Embedded 8.1 Industry

Postby RGiskeel » April 22nd, 2016, 4:20 pm

Well, I've got some. However, I'm glad that I haven't gotten any viruses in the last 3 years (I sandbox everything I downloaded into my Windows 7 VM and if it's clean, I use it).

The first from what I remember was the Sality. Got this on my old laptop back in 2012, and it completely destroyed my programs (a lot of them can no longer be opened). :x
The second was Ramnit. It was actually supposed to download some more malware, from what I can remember, but it didn't seem to do it. Probably because there are different variants of it, and I got the one that's not doing it.
The last was the Slugin. Same thing. Supposed to download some more malware but it didn't do it.

I'm now actually using the old laptop HDD too, which contains some of the apps from the old laptop, but I'm just too scared to run them since it might actually infect my current PC again! ;)

I'm currently using avast! with Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. I also have MBAM, in case if an adware gets inside my PC after I install some apps. The whole virus and ransomware thing makes me really scared, since if a virus, or worse, ransomware gets into my PC, the chance of recovery is close to impossible.
I'd really like to see if I could tweak Windows 8 Dev Preview beta so that it could be used for everyday stuff!*
*Includes tweaking it to the point where it identifies as Windows 7 SP1.

Return to “Tech Talk”