Welcome to the Windows On Windows® forum! The forum is free for anyone to use, so come join in the fun!

...Forum not enough for you? Chat live with other Windows® fans on our Discord server!

Computer viruses

If you have a technical interest aside from operating systems, discuss it in this forum. This may include questions or discussion about certain hardware and software. [Note: This is not a help forum.]
Vas709
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows 98, Windows XP

Computer viruses

Postby Vas709 » April 18th, 2016, 9:28 am

Have you ever got computer viruses? When I had Windows XP I got a virus that replaces the old program called svchost.exe with a new one. Internet Explorer couldn't stop popping-up, played random sounds, and it was very annoying to me. Of course, I got some more viruses in the past and I don't remember which. In Windows 7 I have Avast! antivirus that protects my computer against viruses.

Vasja Stojkovic

TheComputerBetaG
Windows® 98 Second Edition
Favourite Windows® development process: Vista
Favourite Windows® operating system: 7, 98, Vista

Re: Computer viruses

Postby TheComputerBetaG » April 18th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Yeah, I hate getting viruses! Windows 10 is suppose to keep a record of such and keep from getting them but it gets really particular about the files downloaded, sometimes it would just count my product key as a virus (Win32/hacktool). I have no idea, but I just continue working, apparently it doesn't lock up my laptop and I never got a message on my Desktop about needing to "Activate Windows."

Vas709
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows 98, Windows XP

Postby Vas709 » April 18th, 2016, 12:21 pm

TheComputerBetaG wrote:Yeah, I hate getting viruses! Windows 10 is suppose to keep a record of such and keep from getting them but it gets really particular about the files downloaded, sometimes it would just count my product key as a virus (Win32/hacktool). I have no idea, but I just continue working, apparently it doesn't lock up my laptop and I never got a message on my Desktop about needing to "Activate Windows."

I hope you will get rid of the virus on Windows 10. Have you tried using MalwareBytes Anti-Malware that removes computer viruses and malware?

Vasja Stojkovic

TheComputerBetaG

Postby TheComputerBetaG » April 18th, 2016, 12:25 pm

The thing is, I restored my computer using the recovery partition on the Hard Disk Drive and reinstalled Windows 10, and no "Activate Windows" dialog nor is it in Settings, then I am told I have a hacktool installed, I remove the so called "hacktool" and I restart and get the dialog watermark at the corner. I haven't been able to get MalwareBytes as for some reason with my configuration of my computers it doesn't support for some reason, just the message I get.

QCS
Windows® 2.1
Windows® 2.1
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn/Vista
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows 7

Postby QCS » April 18th, 2016, 12:26 pm

Not so much viruses, but a lot of Spyware/Malware.

I got infected with the Vundo Trojan (also known as Virtumonde or Virtumondo) quite a bit back in the mid 2000's. It didn't so much destroy things as it did bloat the hard drive, with spam pop-ups/advertisements and also disabling the Windows firewall. I was pretty lucky though, because this got worse over time as it spread.

I think I also got infected with some variant of the SpySheriff Rougeware and I think one of those WinAntiVirus 200x clones.

Honestly I think it's a lot safer online these days (depending on what you do/where you go), but it's just when you do get hit... It hurts a lot harder.

TheComputerBetaG

Postby TheComputerBetaG » April 18th, 2016, 12:29 pm

QCS wrote:Not so much viruses, but a lot of Spyware/Malware.

I got infected with the Vundo Trojan (also known as Virtumonde or Virtumondo) quite a bit back in the mid 2000's. It didn't so much destroy things as it did bloat the hard drive, with spam pop-ups/advertisements and also disabling the Windows firewall. I was pretty lucky though, because this got worse over time as it spread.

I think I also got infected with some variant of the SpySheriff Rougeware and I think one of those WinAntiVirus 200x clones.

Honestly I think it's a lot safer online these days (depending on what you do/where you go), but it's just when you do get hit... It hurts a lot harder.

Very true! Sometimes I wonder if some things are created by Microsoft so that you have to get the newest Operating System, seemed to be when I was still using Windows Experience back when Windows 7 came about (I guess it was around 2007-09) and I was always having issues opening files and applications (.exe files).

MajorSky17
Site Admin
Favourite Windows® operating system: 7

Postby MajorSky17 » April 18th, 2016, 12:59 pm

I hadn't had one for many years until very recently. Can't remember what it was but it was a persistent little bugger that took multiple attempts to get rid of. :|
How to count to 10: 1, 2, 3, 3.1, NT 3.1, NT 3.5, 95, NT 4, 98, 2000, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10.
Splitwirez wrote:Question...why? Why are you trying to make things look MORE like Windows 10?

TheComputerBetaG

Postby TheComputerBetaG » April 18th, 2016, 4:19 pm

Yeah, that is the thing about those little buggers! They do not ever want to be released! They just want to stay and feed.

skyrocket
Windows® 1.0
Windows® 1.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn / Vista
Favourite Windows® operating system: 10

Postby skyrocket » April 21st, 2016, 9:21 pm

As with many others, I haven't had to deal with viruses and / or malware on my own personal systems. I guess it's just a combination of browsing habits and adblocking software. I'm the resident tech support for my friends and family and it's pretty crazy how many viruses / malware / spyware I have to deal with often.
skyrocket
PC: i5 4570 - Gigabyte H87M-D3H - GTX 760 - 8GB RAM - OS X El Capitan & Windows 10
Mobile: Surface 3 (128 / 4) - Nexus 6P - Samsung Gear S2

Hamed033
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows XP

Postby Hamed033 » April 21st, 2016, 9:34 pm

skyrocket wrote:As with many others, I haven't had to deal with viruses and / or malware on my own personal systems. I guess it's just a combination of browsing habits and adblocking software. I'm the resident tech support for my friends and family and it's pretty crazy how many viruses / malware / spyware I have to deal with often.

Almost the same case with me,i dont get why do people think that if something pops up saying you have viruses is legit :P
Also i havent used an anti virus since 2012 i think,when i switched to linux,windows then became a worst case scenario option. (I remember testing out Comodo arround 2014,for a week or so).
IRC on FreeNode:#Windows-on-Windows
Born to be wasted.

Return to “Tech Talk”