Welcome to the Windows On Windows® forum! The forum is free for anyone to use, so come join in the fun!

...Forum not enough for you? Chat live with other Windows® fans on our Discord server!

[Tutorial] Basic overclocking guide

If you have a technical interest aside from operating systems, discuss it in this forum. This may include questions or discussion about certain hardware and software. [Note: This is not a help forum.]
Hamed033
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® development process: Longhorn
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows XP

[Tutorial] Basic overclocking guide

Postby Hamed033 » September 11th, 2016, 2:21 pm

DISCLAIMER:
I am not responsible for broken hardware, dead CPUs,GPUs,motherboards, thermonuclear war. Please do some research if you have any concerns about if your pc can handle it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your PC, I will laugh at you.

***READ ALL MANUALS***
---MAKE SURE YOUR PSU CAN HANDLE THIS---
Use this to check: http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
*THIS WONT WORK ON OEM PC LIKE DELL,HP,LENOVO,ETC.*(but its not impossible ;) )
So lets get started.When you´re booting your PC enter the BIOS (if you dont know what that is,you should probably stop reading this now) by pressing the delete key (in most cases,different BIOS,different button,read your manual).Then you will see a screen like this one (unless its UEFI):
Before overclocking you MUST disable C1E and EIST,which are in my case located in Advanced BIOS features --> CPU Feature --> and disable them:
Step 1
Step 2
Step 3
So you may be asking yourself "WHY DO I NEED TO DISABLE THESE OPTIONS!?" ,the answer is simple,C1E is a low power state,that drops VCore voltage and makes the system unstable,you dont want that,and EIST is lowering the clock speed,so you dont want that either.
Now you can overclock! :D
Overclocking the CPU:
First find the menu with the overclocking options,in my case its Soft Menu on image 1.
After you open it,you should see a few settings like this:
Explanation of setting:
-External clock(FSB,Base clock)-the speed you will want to modify
-Multiplier-the number that multiplies the FSB to get the final cpu speed (266x8=2133)
-Estimated CPU clock - the clock that you will get with the current values
-N/B Strap CPU - Not 100% sure what it is,not needed for basic overclocking,unless you want to push the FSB really far
-DRAM Spec- DRAM:FSB Ratio,the ratio that adjusts the RAM speed,you want to change it to 1:1 (or some setting that keeps it close to default speeds,unless you want to overclock the RAM too)
-Estimated new DRAM clock - new RAM clock after the changes
-PCI Express Frequency - DONT TOUCH THIS,JUST DONT,ITS BAD (it can destroy your PCI cards easily)
*Voltages*
-CPU Core Voltage (VCore)-The voltage supplied to the CPU
-DDR2 Voltage - RAM voltage
-MCH 1.25V Voltage-Northbridge voltage (increase for very high FSB speeds)
The settings can be in different parts of the BIOS in your case,read your manual
If you still have no idea what all of this means,find other awesome explanations on the internet.(or just take a break,you maybe tired :P )
If you do understand,please continue reading.
It is recommended to set your DRAM:FSB ratio to 1:1,if you want to overclock your RAM too,loosen the timings,and increase the RAM voltage,but because this is a basic guide,i wont get into much detail about RAM overclocking.
Begin by raising you FSB clock in increments of 5-10 Mhz,test stability with Prime 95 or AIDA64 or Intel BurnIn test,or all of them.
Prime 95 (use small FFT for max CPU stress,blend if you OC`d the RAM too)
AIDA64
If you hit the limit of stability with stock Vcore,its time to increase it,do it in small increments (like really small )
Increasing Vcore shortens the lifespan of the CPU!
Keep the temperatures under 65C!
You can monitor the temperatures via AIDA64 (yay! for versatility) or HW monitor, MAKE SURE YOUR TJMAX IS CORRECT! (i had a lot of issues with that,here is a list for Core 2 era CPUs,the newer ones should be automatically adjusted :
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/intel-dts ... 29460.html )
If you are running at high FSBs and increasing the Vcore doesnt help anymore,rollback your VCore a little bit,and increase the NB voltage,if still not stable increase vcore a little bit,and then NB voltage,do it one by one.
So if you are hitting the 65C mark,its time to stop,or get a better CPU cooler (like a Noctua,or Zalman air cooler,or Corsair AIO water cooling)
I use a Zalman CNPS90F (Full Al,there is an AlCu variant),and its running fine at these settings:
(No RAM OC,im not good when it comes to adjusting timings)
With the CPU now done,you can turn to overclocking other components,like a hard drive!
Just kidding,but it would be cool to see.
For real now,the next step is overclocking the GPU!
I have an AMD card,so i will use MSI Afterburner,for Nvidia users i recommend EVGA Precision X
Afterburner:
(By default there is a safe overclocking limit on AMD GPUs(maybe Nvidia,not sure),it can be disabled in the settings (if your card can reach it)
Here is a GPU-z shot of my GPU (before OC,for comparison):
How to overclock your GPU:
Its as simple as moving sliders arround,you can overclock both your VRAM and GPU Core (and in some cases overvolt it)
But same as the CPU,you have to check the stability (artifacting),i recommend using GPUTool from techpowerup(same guys that make GPU-z)
It should be done the same way as the CPU,moving it in increments of 5Mhz.In my case i reached the limit and was stable,so i unlocked it.(I wasnt able to overclock VRAM,as you can see in the GPU-z shot I have GDDR3 Infineon-Infineon VRAM overclocks poorly so dont touch it if you have it.)
GPUTool:
Limits reached and unlocking:
Image (in the settings)
After a few hours,i found out that my max was 740MHz on the Core,errors in GPUTool are displayed as yellow pixels,and it says it in the window with the picture. Keep the temps under 85C!

GPU-z after OC:
Conclusion:
Is overclocking worth it?
Definitely if you have the right components
Is it dangerous?
YES.
Should you do it?
If you can get it stable,yes,if not,you run a risk of losing all of you work,or burning your PSU and killing every single component you have.
Post your results below! :)
My PC:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13GHz (50% overclock, 3.2 GHz)
GPU:Sapphire AM Radeon HD 4850 512MB (625MHz-->740MHz)
Motheboard: Abit IB9 (R.I.P. Abit)
PSU:420W Spire
HDD:250GB Seagate
I will try to make my next tutorials better,this is one i wrote after a 1 year break,any constructive criticism is appreciated.

IRC on FreeNode:#Windows-on-Windows
Born to be wasted.

Return to “Tech Talk”