Welcome to the Windows On Windows® forum! The forum is free for anyone to use, so come join in the fun!

...Forum not enough for you? Chat live with other Windows® fans on our Discord server!

Best Linux Distro for a Windows User

Ask a question, respond to a question or post a comment on any part of the development of non-Windows® operating systems here. This includes MS-DOS and all other operating systems that Microsoft developed aside from Windows®.
SonicKnuckles1998
Windows® 2.1
Windows® 2.1
Favourite Windows® development process: Windows Longhorn
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows XP

Best Linux Distro for a Windows User

Postby SonicKnuckles1998 » May 1st, 2016, 5:09 pm

If you were using any version of Windows and wanted to try out Linux, which distro would you choose?
I would choose Ubuntu or Zorin OS.

MajorSky17
Site Admin
Favourite Windows® development process: Vista
Favourite Windows® operating system: 7

Re: Best Linux Distro for a Windows User

Postby MajorSky17 » May 1st, 2016, 7:18 pm

I guess Ubuntu 16, where you can have the launcher at the bottom, 'cause that's like the default Windows taskbar, right? What's that distro that's meant to be easy for Windows users to switch to? It uses Bliss as the wallpaper...
How to count to 10: 1, 2, 3, 3.1, NT 3.1, NT 3.5, 95, NT 4, 98, 2000, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10.
Splitwirez wrote:Question...why? Why are you trying to make things look MORE like Windows 10?

esc1010
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® development process: XP

Postby esc1010 » May 2nd, 2016, 12:37 am

MajorSky17 wrote:I guess Ubuntu 16, where you can have the launcher at the bottom, 'cause that's like the default Windows taskbar, right? What's that distro that's meant to be easy for Windows users to switch to? It uses Bliss as the wallpaper...

It doesn't use bliss, but Zorin OS 11 looks like a near carbon copy of Windows 7 (and that's a good thing)

MajorSky17
Site Admin

Postby MajorSky17 » May 2nd, 2016, 1:18 am

esc1010 wrote:
MajorSky17 wrote:I guess Ubuntu 16, where you can have the launcher at the bottom, 'cause that's like the default Windows taskbar, right? What's that distro that's meant to be easy for Windows users to switch to? It uses Bliss as the wallpaper...

It doesn't use bliss, but Zorin OS 11 looks like a near carbon copy of Windows 7 (and that's a good thing)

Oh, didn't know that. I remembered the one I was thinking of...it's Tails OS.
How to count to 10: 1, 2, 3, 3.1, NT 3.1, NT 3.5, 95, NT 4, 98, 2000, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10.
Splitwirez wrote:Question...why? Why are you trying to make things look MORE like Windows 10?

SonicKnuckles1998
Windows® 2.1
Windows® 2.1

Postby SonicKnuckles1998 » May 2nd, 2016, 1:24 am

Tails OS doesn't look like XP out of the box, you'll need to edit it.
As for Ubuntu 16, I'll try it out in a VM first.
I've already tried Zorin OS, but I feel like getting into something a tad different.

RGiskeel
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® development process: 7 and 8
Favourite Windows® operating system: 7 SP1 and Embedded 8.1 Industry

Postby RGiskeel » May 2nd, 2016, 1:30 am

Agree with esc1010, Zorin OS is basically designed for first-time Linux users who was experienced on Windows before, and it's based off Ubuntu so most of the stuff designed for Ubuntu should work on Zorin too.

However, Chrome OS slightly resembles Windows too, and you can get the stuff needed to install it just by googling "install chrome os" (it's a proprietary software, so Google doesn't supply it on their site, but it's available on other sites than Google).
I'd really like to see if I could tweak Windows 8 Dev Preview beta so that it could be used for everyday stuff!*
*Includes tweaking it to the point where it identifies as Windows 7 SP1.

esc1010
Windows® 2.0
Windows® 2.0
Favourite Windows® development process: XP

Postby esc1010 » May 2nd, 2016, 2:28 am

MajorSky17 wrote:
esc1010 wrote:

Oh, didn't know that. I remembered the one I was thinking of...it's Tails OS.

Tails uses Gnome 2 as the default style.

alexandru_c
Windows® 98
Windows® 98
Favourite Windows® development process: Windows Server
Favourite Windows® operating system: Windows Server

Postby alexandru_c » May 3rd, 2016, 3:20 pm

Zorin OS may be the first option just for it's custom looks, but not for it's basic colors. Personally I prefer Linux Mint 13 with Cinnamon or CentOS/RHEL 6 because of the GNOME 2 category style (it's easier to have everything categorised so that if you install an app with a strange name to test, the category would indicate the users what's the app purpose).

Recommanding a distro to a Windows-only user isn't very easy because let's say for example: When I run Unity from Ubuntu, every window love to freeze, when I'm using CentOS/RHEL I'm forced to install codecs and basic stuff, when I'm Zorin OS, the white and blue theme it's just too bright and basic, when I'm on latests Linux Mint builds, some of my drivers are missing and OS becomes very unstable.

I think that the answer depends on what hardware it will run and what the user windows-only user prefer to see, because Cinnamon GUI also looks like Windows (start menu, windows style, etc + Themes supported), but in this case, you will need a distro wich run very well on your hardware and also change it's GUI to Cinnamon for example.
What can you do with just some basic PHP knowledge: http://splatform.sourceforge.net

Awesome LIVE event right NOW: [url ]http://radiozu.ro/forzazulive/ [ /url] - event over

TheComputerBetaG
Windows® 98 Second Edition
Windows® 98 Second Edition
Favourite Windows® operating system: 7, 98, Vista

Postby TheComputerBetaG » May 11th, 2016, 3:49 pm

Zorin OS works well for being a Linux OS with the looks of Windows Vista/7 view. I tested Zorin in a Virtual Machine with bare minimum RAM (approximately 526MB maybe about 826MB) and works perfectly. If I needed a Linux OS, I would choose Zorin just because of the Windows concept is clearly in it. Would be nice if I created a similar GUI for my Operating System (it looks more like a tablet, need to make it more desktop/laptop view oriented.)

SonicKnuckles1998
Windows® 2.1
Windows® 2.1

Postby SonicKnuckles1998 » May 22nd, 2016, 12:35 am

UPDATE: I just finished my Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS dual boot! I will be using Ubuntu most of the time unless Microsoft finds their way again. Windows 10 is Longhorn 2.0 at this point.
Attachments
Screenshot.png

Return to “Non-Windows® Operating Systems”